Friday, April 24, 2009

Pikelets

I've started cooking pikelets each week to use up the flour and sugar in my pantry. It's been so long so I was a kid and regularly made them, and I'd forgotten how easy it was! Here's the recipe I've been using lately:

1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
Butter, for greasing

Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. In another bowl, beat egg and sugar until thick. Add egg mixture and milk to flour. Mix with a spoon until ingredients are just combined.

Lightly grease a heavy-based frying pan with butter. Heat pan. Drop tablespoonfuls of mixture into the pan once hot. When bubbles appear and start to burst on the top surface, turn pikelets. Cook on the other side for about 1 minute or until golden.

Serve with butter, honey or jam when still warm. Makes 12-15.

No comments:

Post a Comment